Largest elm in NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

morgan

Re: Largest elm in NY

Post by morgan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Yes tsharp the top was closer to me with a laser than the base no matter where I stood. Elms have extremely umbrella-shaped crowns.

I think this problem is unique to elms. Maybe not unique but definitely the worst with them. Elms often have, and the Johnstown elm especially has, a crown that is much greater than the height. How many trees can you say that about? (Ok I know, Banyan trees, but that's a special case of extreme multiple stems of a different type.)

I concluded that the height of the Johnstown elm is 90 feet but I have not seen a crown in any direction less than 110 feet, and I'll go back there the next time and nail the crown with a tape. You can use aerial photography and google maps to get a good idea of the crown if you enter johnstown NY and hit north perry and fulton. You can't miss the tree. I'm thinking a fairly circular crown over 100 feet in every direction.

Average maximum crown with minumum crown. Get back to you.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:16 pm

NTS,

This lovely elm is now deceased. I drove by the tree this morning, and it appears to have partially leafed out in the spring and died shortly after. The tree's listed height (NY DEC Big Tree list) of 140' is probably close to double its actual height. Sorry, I don't have any pictures to share.

The irony of this situation is that after Morgan's frustration with the DEC, the American elm was listed as state champion (with its grossly inflated dimensions), and promptly gave up the ghost. I wonder how long it stays on the list?

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Elijah

Sorry to hear about the elm. It's real height is/was between 85 and 90 feet if I remember correctly. The 140-foot NY measurement shows that we still have far to go in educating state people. I sometimes wonder how such sustained incompetence can go unnoticed. There's no excuse for 50-foot tree-height errors now that our AF guidelines are out and State Coordinators have been notified.

Our Landis Arboretum workshop may yet do some good. We'll have to change the date from Aug 27 because of a conflicting event. Would Aug 13 work for you? Sept 3rd?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Bob,

It's good to hear from you. Either date would probably work, but the likeler one would be September 3rd. I may have a family event in August, but I don't know for sure. I'm looking forward to the workshop. I'm not volunteering him for anything, but I expect Tom Howard may want to attend, as well. Have a good evening,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:24 pm

I definitely would not be able to attend if it moves to the 13th but september 3rd would certainly be doable. Do you know if state coordinator Erin Brady is planning to attend?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Elijah and Erik,

I'll see if Sept 3rd will work for Landis. I have no idea about Erin's attendance. I don't know her.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

morgan

Post by morgan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:43 am

I drove by the elm yesterday to see how it was doing, as I do about once a year, and was horrified to see nothing but a stump. WTF?

morgan

Post by morgan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:55 am

In the spring I'll go count the growth rings. At least we can get an age for it.

Can't do it now with 2 feet of packed snow on it.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:07 am

Morgan,

A ring count would really be neat. I'm always curious about old city/town trees in yards.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

morgan

Post by morgan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:55 am

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forest ... ampcom.pdf

Just saw how it was listed as state champ. Also noticed that my champion American Hornbeam is newly listed again for about the 3rd time. First listed in 1975, listed for awhile then dropped off the list due to the "10 year rule". Remeasured, listed as champ again, dropped off again, remeasured again. Now back on the list. But the hornbeam is not just NY champion but National champ. Really a nice tree.

Return to “New York”