Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

morgan

Re: Largest elm in NY

Post by morgan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:44 pm

I meant 2012 not 1912..........

morgan

Post by morgan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Elijah it's on north perry about 2 or 3 blocks north of Stewarts. You can't miss it. I mean you REALLY can't miss it. Anybody who likes elms would freak out when he sees it. Bob saw it a couple days ago.

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:57 pm

NTS,

I encourage anyone who can drive by the Deerfield, MA elm to do so. It is the most stunning example of the species I have ever seen. It is under DED treatment so as long as the owners continue with treatments it should continue to bulk up. I can perceive a change in size in the two decades I have known it. It is super vigorous and like Morgan said- will floor you!

Will

morgan

Post by morgan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:04 pm

I doubt the owner of the Johnstown elm is doing much in the way of fungicide or doing anything to kill the beetles. I think the house is abandoned. Nobody ever answers the door and there is never a car in the driveway. The lawn is never mowed. When I measured it the two times, I knocked and knocked and then just measured it.

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Anyone got any other pictures of the Deerfield Elm, I found a few in an old thread? Because this elm is pretty damn nice looking!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Chris,

I've posted pictures of the Deerfield elm before, but when I return to Mass, I'll take some fresh images. I'm currently in the Lake Champlain Valley in NY and will have some pretty wild pictures of cottonwoods to post in a couple of days.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

morgan

Post by morgan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:05 pm

If anybody wants to measure the height of the Johnstown elm they can use this photo as reference. The true top is over the street and is much higher than the competing tops above the trunk. I used a Haga hypsometer and a 300 foot tape measure and got a height of 99 feet, and confirmed it with my Abney (using the same tape measure) and although it used the tangent method which is flawed, I was 300 feet away so I was able to sight the true top without much of the parallax problem you get with the tangent method. I hope to visit the tree again soon with my Nikon 440 to get a dead-on height. I'm thinking it's not far from 99 feet.
Attachments
elmheight.jpg

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Morgan,

Was your tape anchored directly below the point illustrated? If so it should be very close. When you return be sure to use two triangles with the Nikon and explore other potential tops. Elms are notoriously hard to measure with their broad crowns. Shooting from a steep angle below is often the best way to isolate the highest point. I look forward to your results for that top.

Congrats on finding a Nikon 440!

Will

morgan

Post by morgan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:24 pm

I stood at a point that was equidistant from the trunk and the top. Makes the math easy that way

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Morgan,

Not sure what that means exactly... Unless you were perfectly perpendicular to the line between the base and the top being measured you would need two separate baselines.

Will

Return to “New York”