Largest elm in NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

morgan

Re: Largest elm in NY

Post by morgan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey I took that pic on the day in Feb 1912 when I measured the girth at 188 inches, you can see I had to step on snow which raised me up the stem to where it gets slimmer. You can see it gets wider quickly as you get down lower on the stem. I measured the girth again 2 days ago without snow, when the 54 inch chest-high measurements gave me 196 inch girth.

It's a big tree. Biggest in New York, where the Dutch Elm disease has been running rampant for 100 years. How this thing never got sick is beyond me, seeing as how Johnstown is Dutch Elm central.....more dead elms per mile than you can read about.

morgan

Post by morgan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:45 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm#Ameri ... _americana

I put the pic on Wikipedia a while ago. Scroll down to the Johnstown Elm.

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:21 am

Morgan,

I love American elms. It's a beauty! Is it a fused double stem? There is a line from near its base to the first crotch.

George

morgan

Post by morgan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 am

No, that line goes up to a hole that somebody drilled into the tree, I don't know why. Single stem that forks around 25 feet up.

Click the wikipedia link I gave and then click the pic again to zoom it in, you get a huge high resolution of the pic

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:58 am

dbhguru wrote:Joe,

Yes, I remember that tree.

Have you seen the Old Deerfield Elm? It is a gorgeous tree. Its measurements are girth = 19.1 feet, height = 102.5 feet. Crown spread is close to the height. Picture perfect tree.

Bob
Bob, I'm not sure of the specific tree you mention- but, a funny thing--- about a year or so ago, Elizabeth and I were just driving around for fun- and happened to go to Old Deerfield, the first time I've been there since a ramble in the '60s. Lo and behold, that night, you wrote a message here about your visit to that town that very same day- we must have missed each other by minutes. I remember seeing many very nice trees but I'm not sure of the one you refer to here.
Joe

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:12 am

Wow- that NY elm is a beauty! Being an urban tree is seems reasonable that someone would be caring for it via fungicide injections.

Will

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:16 am

morgan wrote:Hey I took that pic on the day in Feb 1912
wow, you must be pretty old!
Joe

Don

Post by Don » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Joe-
I agree, 1912!, I was thinking we weren't giving Morgan his due senior deference...champion trees in Daguerrotype!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Don wrote:Joe-
I agree, 1912!, I was thinking we weren't giving Morgan his due senior deference...champion trees in Daguerrotype!
-Don
1912 was a good year, which was why I noticed it- the year all my grandparents came over from The Boot!
Joe

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

Morgan,

Welcome to NTS from a fellow New Yorker. That's a very pretty elm you've shared. I drive through Johnstown probably an average of twice a week, but stick to the main roads, so I've not seen this particular tree. I've come across many American elms in NY taller than this one, but none even close to this big around. Many nice elms can be found along several sections of U.S. 20, from one end of the state to the other, and there's a very nice one in the village of Poland, I think, along Rt. 8.

When I get a chance, I'll have to check this tree out in person. Thanks for sharing.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”