Largest elm in NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

morgan

Largest elm in NY

Post by morgan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:10 am

The DEC of NY lists the largest American Elm in the state as being a 285 pointer, but the one on the corner of Fulton and Perry in Johnstown is much bigger.

Bob Leverett just measured the height at 84.5 feet and I measured the girth at 188 inches 2 years ago and I'm sure it's grown, probably 190. Guessing a crown of 90 feet gives it way over 285 points.

Now to get the DEC to update their list. Here is the DEC's current list:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forest ... 061413.pdf

They actually list 3 co-champions but this one will knock all 3 off the list

morgan

Re: Largest elm in NY

Post by morgan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:08 pm

I just got back from measuring the girth to see if it had grown. Girth is now 196 inches at 4.5 feet. I think the reason I got only 188 last time was because there was a foot of icy packed snow on the ground so I measured it maybe 5 or 5.5 feet up, this tree gets wider towards the base. I doubt it's grown this much in 2 years.

But I'm going with 196 inches now.

For the crown I got some measurements and will do the math when I get around to it.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Morgan,

After you compute the crown spread, I can submit the measurements to DEC on your behalf.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

morgan

Post by morgan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Average crown spread is 88 feet.

84.5 + 196 + 22 = 302.5

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:19 am

photo?
Joe

morgan

Post by morgan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:28 am

Give me your email and I'll zip you some photos

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:42 am

morgan wrote:Give me your email and I'll zip you some photos
why not just post the photos here?
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:41 am

Joe,

I'll save Morgan some trouble. Attached is an image of the tree that Morgan sent me. It is a very fine elm.

DEC's champion tree list is far out of date and the agency is often very slow to respond to requests. In this case, I'll submit the numbers on the elm to them. They accept my measurements directly. I don't have to work through one of their certifiers. Hopefully, that will allow us to update some of the champion tree entries. It already has worked for the Pine Plains sycamore.

Don Bertolette has done extensive research on the status of the state champion tree programs. He finds the programs often hit or miss propositions. A few states have excellent programs (Alaska, Pennsylvania, Washington State, etc.). But most programs leave a lot to be desired and that includes Massachusetts. Ooh, did I say that?

Keeping lists current is a major challenge. I expect it usually devolves to priorities. The programs need periodic shots in the arm and raised visibility to the public. Along those lines, I believe that the work we're doing as part of the AF MGWG will have a positive impact on state programs in the long run.

Bob
Attachments
NYAmericanElm.jpg
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:16 pm

nice!

elm is my favorite species--- hey Bob, you once saw the elm on the street I grew up in Lee, MA--- trees like that were on both sides of the street from one end to the other- coming together over the road

Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Joe,

Yes, I remember that tree.

Have you seen the Old Deerfield Elm? It is a gorgeous tree. Its measurements are girth = 19.1 feet, height = 102.5 feet. Crown spread is close to the height. Picture perfect tree.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “New York”