Big Oaks in New York

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tomhoward

Big Oaks in New York

Post by tomhoward » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am

Here in Central NY I know of only 1 and possibly 1 other Oak with girth over 20 ft. The Oak that is definitely over 20 ft. girth is the largest tree here in North Syracuse, an open-grown White Oak 68 ft. tall (it has a wide spread but I haven't measured it yet) and 77 in. dbh (20.16 ft. cbh). This tree is growing very fast (in 2007 dbh it was 73.5 in.). It is a single-trunked tree. It is on a small hill in the back of Bear Rd. Elementary School, and seems to be no more than 190 years old, despite its great size. The tree was cored back in 1997 and there are only 44 rings on a 10" core. The best guess from an age estimated formula is about 190 years (or about 1820). The tree sits on the boundary of the towns of Cicero and Clay, and was possibly planted when Clay was set off from Cicero in 1827. Another large (but not as large as this) open-grown White Oak due north of this tree was blown down in 1998, and in 1999 I counted 180 rings on a cross-section of the trunk near the base - this could indicate a planing date of 1827. The much smaller in diameter forest-grown White Oaks in the North Syracuse Cemetery Oak Grove are estimated to be over 300 years old.

The other Oak in the 20 ft. dbh range is an open-grown Black Oak in Mt. Adnah Cemetery in Fulton in Oswego County. I have not seen this tree for many years, but it is a single-trunked tree 74 in. dbh (19.4 ft. cbh) in 2002. Its height is probably less than 70 ft. If it is growing fairly fast, it should be over 20 ft. cbh now.

Tom Howard

ElijahW

Re: Big Oaks in New York

Post by ElijahW » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey Tom,

I must have missed this post when you first wrote it. I enjoy seeing the giant white oaks in North Syracuse and the surrounding area. Route 11 has a number of impressive lawn trees, as do Buckley Rd. and Old Liverpool Rd. If you're including Wayne and Cayuga counties in your listing, I'd like to add the 20'3" northern red oak on Howland's Island. The tree is growing in a forest setting, but probably was relatively open-grown before the 1930s. Like your white oak, it's likely less than 200 years old and has put on mass at a rapid clip. The best height I've measured is a bit over 99'. Take it easy.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:21 pm

NTS,

The big Red Oak in Whitesboro should be added to the list of exceptionally large Oaks in New York. The Red Oak is 19.95 ft. cbh (76.2" dbh), and at least 101 ft. tall. It should be one of the largest Oaks in New York State.

Tom Howard

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:31 pm

I came across a couple of large red oaks within Belhurst Castle property in Geneva, just off the northern shore of Seneca Lake, west side. I wasn't equipped to measure any, but I think both are at least in the 18 ft circumference range.
Attachments
014.JPG
013.JPG
012.JPG
011.JPG

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Mon May 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Tom,

Does Rochester count as central NY? (Sorry, I live in the next state over, I should know ;) ) For the Nat'l champ Quercus rubra grows, if not within Rochester's city limits, then at least within the limits of Monroe County.

http://www.richardmargolis.com/portfoli ... mFilters=t

I think the circumference is around thirty feet. There's no way this tree passes the single pith test, unfortunately. (Don't let Will see a photo of it!)

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Mon May 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Rochester is in western NY. I've never seen the National Champion Red Oak in Monroe County, but it looks like an impressive tree. It is clearly at least a double - maybe 2 individual trees that have grown together (in North Syracuse where I live is a huge double Red Oak in North Syracuse Cemetery on South Bay Rd. -it is 2 individual trees, with one trunk leafing out later than the other one). The other large oaks in this thread are single-trunked trees. The largest tree Elijah Whitcomb and I saw in Rochester is a single-trunked Red Oak in Mt. Hope Cemetery, 19 ft. 1 in. cbh and 89 ft, tall.

Tom Howard

Return to “New York”