Washington Grove City Park, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: Washington Grove City Park, NY

Post by ElijahW » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Brian,

Too bad that the tree died, but very impressive nonetheless. The low end of your estimate still puts the tree’s germination at a point before the Revolutionary War. That’s something to think about.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Re: Washington Grove City Park, NY

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 am

NTS,

The last weekend of June I made a visit to Washington Grove. My mission was to remeasure the forest’s tallest Butternut, as I’d recently confirmed that the state height champion for the species at Green Lakes State Park was deceased.

The Butternut I was after looked great and turned out to be about 110’ tall (a slightly lower number than my previous measurement). I then checked on the grove’s other Butternuts. Two additional trees topped 110’, the taller coming in at 114.8’ x 6.37’. As far as I know, this tree becomes the tallest known of its species in NY, and perhaps across its range.

I was also able to finally locate the American Chestnut that Patrick Brandt found in 2014. It’s been dead for several years, but the snag is still intact. The GPS coordinates, for anyone interested, are: 4308.394, 07733.893.

Elijah

Return to “New York”