Adirondack Adventures - 3

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Adirondack Adventures - 3

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:01 am

NTS,

The story of the white pine in the New York Adirondacks is often told by lumbermen as tales expressed in board feet. One might conclude that the story ended with exhaustion of the resource and the formation of the Adirondack Park, however, the story continues. Great white pines are still around, a lot of them. Here is an image of one not far from the Cathedral Pines. You bushwhack into a forest of balsam fir seedlings and young American beech to arrive at the base of another Adirondack whopper. The one below is 12.9 feet in girth and 136.5 feet in height. Monica took the image. She's a trooper.
Adirondacks-12.9-Girth.jpg
Now to three more images of the Lyndacker Pine, named not only in Matt's honor, but also his grandfather.
Adirondacks-Lyndacker-Pine-2.jpg
Adirondacks-Lyndacker-Pine-3.jpg
Adirondacks-Lyndacker-Pine-4.jpg
I keep calculating volume scenarios and my latest conclusion is that the Lyndacker Pine holds between 1,150 and 1,250 cubes. So for the present, I'm going to put the volume as a tentative 1,200 cubes. This determination results from the simple calculation:

25.2 x 129.1 x 0.37 = 1204, where 25.2 = 17.8^2/(4 * pi)

I'm always unsure of how the multiple trunks would translate to an equivalent single trunk, but the 0.37 seems a safe form factor for a tree that is the age of the Lyndacker Pine. The precise volume won't be forthcoming until Will and team climbs this great tree. That will be another chapter in the saga.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Adirondack Adventures - 3

Post by James Parton » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:17 am

Yes, Blozan should jump on this one. The Lyndacker Pine.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 am

It is hard to really appreciate how big some of the trees that are viewed on here. But that Lyndacker Pine looks like a monster. The shot looking up at the multiple trunk formations is really striking. What an awesome tree.

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:01 pm

Bob,

Any idea what allowed this particular pine to grow so large? You've spent more time looking at big white pines than anyone, and from your description, this tree sounds far larger than any other white pine we know of (except perhaps the Zahner pine near Highlands, NC). Quite impressive!

Jess

Return to “New York”