Clove Lakes Park, Staten Island

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Clove Lakes Park, Staten Island

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:04 pm

20170319_120856.jpg

The big tulip. Both this tree and the thickest bitternut have pretty unhealthy looking trunks, unfortunately.

Sunday March 19 I revisited the tallest section of Clove Lakes Park to get a start on comprehensively remeasuring the notable trees located there. In the process I also ended up measuring a number of new trees. This is the first serious measuring session I've done at this site with the Trupulse, and I've been finding that I frequently get results a little shorter than I had gotten with my original Bushnell that only read in whole yards and degrees, perhaps an indication that it tended to err towards rounding up, and generally a little taller than I had gotten with the newer Bushnell Scout DX1000, which does shoot a bit shorter in controlled tests. This makes it a bit hard to say whether any of these trees have actually gotten shorter or taller, measuring in future seasons at least should be grounds for comparison since they'll also be with a Trupulse, most likely.

20170319_115953.jpg

The tallest bitternut is in the foreground, with the next tallest behind and to the left.

The two elms are an exception- I can say with certainty that the taller and thinner of the two elms lost a significant amount of height since I measured it last year, since there is sadly just a stump left. The larger one also seems to have sustained some crown damage, possibly in the same event, which would explain the larger-than-expected height discrepancy.

20170319_133545.jpg

The remaining elm at 102.5' tall.

The addition of several new taller northern red oaks and a new tall black oak continue raising the profile of the site relative to the rest of Staten Island. A very nice mockernut hickory on the other side of the ravine also becomes a new state max. Speaking of hickories, the tall hickories down in the clove are indeed all bitternut- no pignut. The trees that seemed so different last year now look so obviously the same.

20170319_130426.jpg

The 117.1'/9.5'cbh red oak, a beautifully formed tree.

Measurements:

Bitternut Hickory
122' tall/4.8'cbh   remeasure
117.8' tall/7.2'cbh    remeasure
113.9'/4.4'cbh    remeasure
American Beech
112.5' tall/8.1'cbh    remeasure
98' tall/5.6'cbh    new
95.5' tall/7.2'cbh    new
Tuliptree
125.9' tall/12.1'cbh    remeasure
Sassafras
103.2' tall/6.7'cbh    remeasure, tree with the big burl on the other side
99.6' tall/4.3'cbh     remeasure
Northern Red Oak
117.2' tall/7.1'cbh    new
117.1' tall/9.5'cbh    remeasure
116' tall/4.5'cbh    new
113.7' tall/7.1'cbh    new
Black Oak
110.6' tall/4.4'cbh    new, fused with a thicker stem about 2' from the ground.
American Elm
102.5' tall/9.1'cbh    remeasure
85' tall/10.9'cbh    new, in the park area along the lake
American Sycamore
101' tall/9.4'cbh    remeasure, just collected a cbh for specimen from previous post
Mockernut Hickory
91.4' tall/4.5'cbh    new, NYS max height
Attachments
20170319_164106.jpg
The sassafras with the big burl- in some of these photos trunks curve due to the panorama function's distortion- for this sassafras, that's just how it really looks.
20170319_163754.jpg
The nice tall mockernut.

For this message the author Erik Danielsen has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 235 times
Has Been Liked: 278 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Clove Lakes Park, Staten Island

Postby Rand » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 am

The 117.1'/9.5'cbh red oak, a beautifully formed tree.

It's a real bummer how many red oaks with tight forks like this that I see eventually split.
Rand

Has Liked: 255 times
Has Been Liked: 365 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Clove Lakes Park, Staten Island

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

Rand,

Yeah, it seems like a likelihood at some point off in the future. Pretty robust for now. It's one of many oaks on that slope that seem to have coppiced after damage as younger trees at around the same point in the past- in all likelihood when the chestnut population was cut out. The black oak in particular (a double-trunked stump coppice) suggests as much to me- in this forest type black oak is steadily replaced by red oak as succession advances. The original stem was probably one of the last remnants of the black oak population that would have been more present there in early regrowth, and the canopy gapping created by the chestnut removal plus the resources of an existing root system allowed that tree to compete with the vigorous red oaks and tulips that were to take over the canopy. As a result, that black oak has a very different form, tall and thin with a high compact crown, compared to the majority of black oaks in this area which grow in early-succession conditions. It's the only one that far down the slope, where tulip, red oak, bitternut hickory and beech are otherwise very much dominant.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 235 times
Has Been Liked: 278 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Clove Lakes Park, Staten Island

Postby sradivoy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Here's an interesting double forked red oak that's doomed to fail eventually.
Attachments
DSCN0180.JPG
12.5'cbh
DSCN0179.JPG
sradivoy

Has Liked: 44 times
Has Been Liked: 127 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Clove Lakes Park, Staten Island

Postby Rand » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Eek.  That looks scary.  I've always wondered if an arborist could get up there and cut the bark away from the inside of the crotches, and whether the fresh callous would then form a proper fusion.
Rand

Has Liked: 255 times
Has Been Liked: 365 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to New York