20+ CBH Oaks in Southern New Jersey

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tclikesbigtrees

Re: 20+ CBH Oaks in Southern New Jersey

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Wow, you got to see the state champion White Oak. Was it easy to find? I have been wanting to get there to see it. Like anything else, who knows when I will get to see it? It has grown some. The New Jersey site has the circumference at 23'3".

Tom

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Tom,
It was pretty easy to find. The directions on the NJ site are pretty helpful. When I update my google earth map later this month Ill resend it with its location. There was also a Sycamore 22'1" not too far from this tree.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

greenent22

Post by greenent22 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:02 am

Gosh that is some big stuff. Granted much of it is open grown and not grand bole forest trees, so it's semi-cheating, but even one of those lawn trees is so beyond words fat and tall and spreading it's just beyond belief even for a lawn type tree, stunning!!!! and a couple of those even have some bit of a real bole to them and are crazy big like that White Oak for one, good grief. My gosh southern NJ really is another world in every way from the rocky, cold, glacial terminal moraine up where I live. Wow that is some cool stuff. I will have to take a trip down and see some of those.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Click on image to see its original size
While inspecting recent tree plantings along the turnpike today I came across a monarch. Saw the leaves reaching down to the field edge, looked to see the trunk, found it 40 feet inside the hedge row. What a trunk, easily 66 inches, if not 72 inches diameter! Eight feet up it split into multiple central leaders, each 2 feet in diameter, reaching skyward.
near Cedar Grove New Jersey??
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “New Jersey”