Big and tall wax-myrtles, NJ

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Barry Caselli

Big and tall wax-myrtles, NJ

Post by Barry Caselli » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:03 pm

On Friday I explored and hiked in the Glades Wildlife Refuge (a National Lands Trust preserve) in Downe Township, Cumberland County, NJ. I had been there before, but only for a few minutes. On one of the hiking trails there were big and tall wax-myrtles all over the place. It's hard for me to accurately estimate height, but I'd say they were in the 10 to 15 foot range. Maybe at least some were taller than 15 feet. I don't really know. But I did find one that was bigger and taller than the rest. The trunk was easily 6 inches in diameter.
I see wax-myrtles all the time from the Swamp Trail Boardwalk in the Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor. But these I was walking on the ground right next to, on their level.

I'm not sure if shrubs are measured and the heights recorded, but this thing I considered huge. See the photo.
Oh, I almost forgot. For tree species, the forested areas of this preserve contain mostly Willow Oak. Other oaks present were Spanish (Southern Red) Oak and White Oak. I also saw some with leaves that looked like Northern Red Oak to me. I also saw either Scarlet Oak or Black Oak, or both. Other trees were Sweet Gum, American Holly, Loblolly Pine, Virginia Pine, Eastern Red Cedar, Swamp Maple and I think Sasafrass. I know there were other species as well. But these are what I noticed and remember. There was also a lot of High-bush Blueberry. I think there was a lot of Mountain Laurel, but for some reason I can't remember.
I noticed a distinct absence of Atlantic White Cedar and Pitch Pine, which I thought was odd. When you go back to Dividing Creek or Newport you start getting right into the Pine Barrens.

Anyway, the picture shows the trunk, near the ground, of the largest and tallest wax-myrtle I saw there.
IMG_6400.jpg
Barry

tsharp

Re: Big and tall wax-myrtles, NJ

Post by tsharp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Barry: An NTS member just recently posted a 0.5' x 29' x13' Wax Myrtle ( Morella cerifera ) from Hickory Point Woodlands in Worcester County, MD. So Yes we do measure shrubs and the more the better. American Forests do require them to be at least 13' tall to be considered for championship status. I do wish you would do some measuring because you live in a real unique area that needs documentation.
TS

bountreehunter

Re: Big and tall wax-myrtles, NJ

Post by bountreehunter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 am

Here is a pic of the tree in Hickory point swamp.
wax myrtle.jpg
sorry the picture was not better but the swamp was dence and crowded.

Return to “New Jersey”