Newfoundland Landscape and Arctic Wilow

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Newfoundland Landscape and Arctic Wilow

Post by Jenny » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 am

Evocative description of a Newfoundland seaside landscape (Avalon peninsula) including a description of the dwarf Arctic Willow from a book by Scott Weidensaul called "Return to Wild America"

"Pack ice surrounds much of the Avalon Peninsula until April or May, and throughout the summer icebergs that originated in Greenland are a common sight, floating south on the Labrador Current. Especially along the immediate coastline, summer fogs are an almost daily event, bathing the land in damp cold that counteracts the wan heat of the sun. This creates an ecosystem know as Hyperoceanic Barrens - a nearly horizontal plant community dominated by ground hugging Arctic species like crowberry, several species of cranberries, hardy grasses, and pale reindeer lichen in spongy green-white mats...Dwarf Arctic Willows, with trunks barely as thick as a finger, spread over rocks like a green cascade, raising maroon flowers 5 or 6" above the ground, their diminutive stature masking the fact that these trees are often 3 or 4 hundred years old, as deserving of awe as any craggy old-growth pine."
Attachments
Arctic-willow.jpg
Arctic-willow.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
northern-gannet-colony_23380.jpg
northern-gannet-colony_23380.jpg (97 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

edfrank

Re: Newfoundland Landscape and Arctic Wilow

Post by edfrank » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Jenny,

Thanks for this post. I am always fascinated by these species that are hanging in there despite the harsh climate.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Newfoundland & Labrador”